History of the Community Centre
"Interest in founding a Village Society for education and recreation was first shown as early as 1873. In January 1874 the newly-formed Furness Vale Mutual Improvement Society held a tea at the Methodists Free Church. A charge of one shilling (5p) per head was made for a meal of 'ham between bread and butter'. Later in the year a library opened and a reading room was furnished later the same year.
1911, a plot of land at the bottom of Yeardsley Lane was given to the village by Cotton Jodrell for the purpose of building a village institute. Chief rent £1.00d per annum.
1912, the Village Institute opened to the public providing a snooker room with two tables, parquet floor and raised upholstered seating surround. With a view to building a second storey at a later date, the roof of asphalt was put on the snooker room. The main building building consisted of reading room with coal fire - daily and weekly newspapers provided, a library on the left-hand side lined with book cupboards. Upstairs a meeting room, kitchen, toilet and bathroom. The cost of a hot bath was 6d. This facility was most welcome in the days when few homes had a bathroom. A solid fuel boiler provided heating and hot water.
Over the years the building was used for meetings, evening classes, workers education classes, beetle drives, whist drives and fund-raising events. By the late 60s little use was made of the building and a plan was put into operation to extend and refurbish the premises.
1972, the Community Association was formed obtaining grants and fund-raising to achieve a total of £16,500 to pay for the building work. Samuel Smith's Brewery loaned £4,000.
1974, after much dedicated hard work by the committee, the newly-named 'COMMUNITY CENTRE' was opened on October 4th by the Mayor of the High Peak, Councillor Brenda Tatlow. A sale and refreshments were enjoyed in the afternoon followed by an inaugural dance in the evening.
A licensed bar was opened selling Sam Smith's beer, entertainment was provided every Saturday night. Various local clubs and organisations met during the week with Playgroup every morning. Shower facilities were provided for local football teams and a modern fitted kitchen for catering.
1982, the members bar lounge was extended and fully refurbished.
1984, LISA BURTON was crowned as the first Community Princess at the Annual Sports Day June 9th. The main hall was completely re-styled and refurbished as a modern function room."